Synthetic motor oil lasts at least three times longer than conventional motor oil, so 10,000 miles between oil changes should be fine. Even though synthetic motor oil costs over three times as much as conventional, there are several compelling reasons to use synthetic:
- Less synthetic motor oil boils off than conventional oil, so fewer particulates are emitted
- Fewer oil changes means more free time for you
- Synthetic oil reduces the total amount of waste oil to be recovered
- Some engines require synthetic oil to maintain warranty; check your owners manual
- Fewer trips to the shop saves money, so the total cost of using synthetic is reduced
Your owners manual will recommend oil change periods for your vehicle, and may require you to follow this schedule to maintain your warranty. The Speed Racer recommendation is to live large and change your synthetic motor oil every 10,000 miles.